Monday, December 5, 2022

Mission to Norway 1970-1972 Brent Grigg Section 3

 

It was hard to choose what portions of Brent's many posts from his journal to include when he was in Rexburg, Idaho at the LTM.  (Language Training Mission).  He spoke of many General Authorities that came to speak to them and hours of study as he prepared to learn the Norwegian language and prepare to leave for Norway.   I have tried to include lessons he learned, experiences with pre mission life, and his increased desire to serve the Norwegian people. It's fun to feel his excitement for his upcoming mission.   


March 11, 1970 

After spending 5 days in Salt Lake City at the Mission home and a whirlwind of speakers, temple attendance, and instructions Brent left and arrived in Rexburg, Idaho at Ricks College. He recorded in his journal.

"When upon arriving at Ricks College I received Elder Winder as my companion. I guess that since I was given the key to the apartment that I am now the senior companion.  We had dinner and were taken to class immediately.  We learned the Norwegian alphabet and tried to memorize a prayer. " 

March 12, 1970

"Among my accomplishments I learned a very simple testimony. It is very hard to get my tongue to move and mouth to work to get such words out.  I felt God's spirit so strong as we stood and bore our testimonies in our mission language."


                

March 14, 1970
"We had our first MIA here in the mission field.  We saw pictures of Norway and Finland.  I played the piano and boy did I make mistakes.  Oh well, that's the way to learn. In scripture class we learned of the nature of the Godhead and it made me so humble.  I still cannot believe that I was and am in this position.  I have waited so long for this opportunity.  Now I close this day and do in thy son, Jesus Christ, Amen."  

March 17, 1970 
"My accomplishments were not as I had predicted.  I guess I just didn't try hard enough.  Tomorrow lets see if I cannot complete the first discussion and the Joseph Smith story. I know I can do it.  All it takes in mind and willpower. " 

March 24, 1970
"The day finally happened.  I received my first handshake with a member of the church Presidency.  President N. Eldon Tanner spent 1/2 hour speaking to us giving us words of encouragement.  His wife was also there, and she gave a few remarks also.  President Tanner said, 'Missionary work is the greatest call we can receive.  We are a spirit child of God and can become like him.  Magnify the priesthood and you can do anything'."

March 27, 1970 
"After going through the temple for the third time I really enjoyed it.  It brought back memories of my first time through with Mom and Dad.  The spirit that was there was simply wonderful.  I took some pictures at night and am hoping they will turn out." 

April 5, 1970
"We played an April Fools joke on the four other zones.  It was really funny.  We changed scripture rooms on them." 

April 6, 1970
"What a wonderful day! I accomplished much.  My feelings and spirit is so high.  Especially after seeing my first Solemn Assembly of the sustaining of the first Presidency of the Church. Joseph F. Smith, N. Eldon Tanner, and Harold B. Lee.  I was really filled by the spirit of the Holy Ghost."  


April 10, 1970
"Received no letters from anyone. I sometimes wonder if anyone even remembers me.  Oh well! the less letters I receive, the less I think about them." 

April 12, 1970
"We had an unusual breakfast.  We ate out of paper cups (sugar crisp), sweet rolls, and orange juice.  It was really an experience."   

April 14, 1970
"At this point I would thank my Father in Heaven for all that He has given me.  For my ability to concentrate and to be able to learn this language so quickly.  I thank Him for my parents, for they have given me the support needed in the mission field.  I thank him for my testimony, for it has helped me to learn and understand the life I am to live.  May He continue to be with me, to love and guide me through my trials and tribulations, in Jesus' name Amen."  

April 17, 1970
 "In one more week I will be really scared anxious, nervous, and happy, because I will be getting ready to leave Rexburg to go on my mission.  I pray that Father in Heaven will give the courage I need to accomplish a better learning in the next week.  I hope I can plan my days so that there is a purpose to all my studying.  I give thanks to my Father in Heaven for the blessings I have received in the past seven weeks.  I know not the words to express to Him.  I will do my best to follow the example of Jesus Christ. This, I say in Jesus Christ's name, Amen. " 

April 30, 1970
"I am hoping that I can learn to love the people over there. I will try my hardest to overlook faults in the people and in my companion, I pray the Lord will help me and I ask for his help in Jesus Christ's name, Amen. " 

May 6 & 7, 1970
This was Brent's last day in Rexburg. His parents, Darin and Karen came to say goodbye. He went to SLC, then Denver, New York, and finally arrived in Norway.  

May 8, 1970. 
"I  arrived in Norway. . . . . . . . "
 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission to Norway 1970-1972 Brent Grigg Section 1

Mission to Norway 1970-1972 Brent Leland Grigg Section 1 This is a blog created to share mission experiences and thoughts from Brent Grigg...