May 8, 1970
I arrived in Norway and met President Johnson and his wife. We got our bedding and went to bed. We awoke at 3:00 and were on our way to receive all visual aids that we need. I spent $53.75. I'm now on my way. I learned a lot and now must retire. I am really tired and hope this be be how busy I am for the next 22 months.
President Johnson
May 9, 1970
President Johnson was kind enough to give us a nice free tour of Oslo, Norway before our companions showed up to take us to our various hybels (house or apartment) at 10:00 am. Elder Bylund, my companion, came to pick me up. . . we went to downtown Oslo and I checked in with the police and received permission to be a minister here in Norway. After running around town for a half a day we finally made to my first hybel. It is at Lundvision3, Oslo. From what they tell me it is the best here. The room is located behind a house and is very big in size. There are two beds and tables.
May 10, 1970
What a Sunday! It was interesting but very much boring. It was hard to understand what was said. I had the hardest time trying to stay awake. I really do enjoy the people here. The members seem to have a real spirit about them. They are so kind and want to learn so much. We are the church to them. As one lady said, we need you to teach us.
May 11, 1970
My first day of a lot of things. I knocked on my first door and it was slammed in my face. I was luckier on the second one. With the help of Elder Hoskins and I were able to give a Book of Mormon to an investigator. It was very rewarding.
I can't believe all the walking I did. It seemed like forever before I would have the day end. I even fell asleep in one discussion. It was a good thing that the lady we were talking to was a member. It is going to take so long to learn all that I must so that I can be an effective teacher of the gospel.
May 14, 1970
I want so much to reach out and tell everyone how I feel. I imagine that I am just not being very bold. I want to make a commitment to myself from now on I will rely on the Lord and let him help. I have a good knowledge of Norwegian and know that when the right person comes along then I will be given the right things at the right time.
May 17, 1970
This Sunday was really really different. We celebrated the Independence of Norway. It was quite an interesting parade and graduation. I stood all day watching bands and children perform for the King. Then I saw the Russ parade where all the graduates show off to the people. I took pictures to help me remember it.
(Based on a Danish tradition, the Russ are high-school students marking their graduation year, the peak bash happening during the May 17th festivities. The modern Russ celebration began in 1905. Graduates would don red caps and carry bamboo sticks with ribbons in dedicated Russ parades.)
(Brent did not take this picture of a parade celebrating Norway's independence. It is off the internet. He always used to say he would always remember our wedding anniversary because it was the same day as Independence day in Norway.)
May 18, 1970...the most exciting things happened. I had the opportunity to tell a person about the gospel. I greeted a gentleman, and we walked around the building a few times and then I began to really get brave. I started asking questions and just when he decided to leave, I bore my testimony and all of a sudden, I felt calm. We started talking and before I knew it I had brought him to the reading of the Book of Mormon and he actually gave me his address and said he wanted to read the book. I received my first referral in just 10 days. What a thankful missionary I am today.
May 24, 1970
I had the opportunity to give my first talk in Norwegian. It was pretty much extemporaneous. I talked about my family and bore my testimony and told them just exactly how I felt about my job as a missionary. It was quite a good experience for me. I thank my Father for this day.
June 1, 1970
. . . . Our evening was fantastic with Grete. She is going to be baptized. Wow already I am blessed with the opportunity to see one of my investigators come into the water of baptism. She had received a spiritual witness from our father in Heaven that she was doing that which is right. She received a warm feeling after walking all day Sunday. She new it was right. We then gave her the 6th discussion and I couldn't believe how well she answered the questions. We were so happy that our fasting was not in vain. How wonderful!
(Brent recorded many, many days of tracting door to door in June. They had some success and other times were discouraged)
June 21, 1970
It seems that I have received somewhat of a spiritual witness that I feel my efforts have not been in vain. Especially after the 19th and our big day of fasting. I am just so happy and filled with joy. My testimony is so different now. To think that because of a young boys inquisitive mind and wanting truth that we have today the true Church of Jesus Christ restored in the latter days. I feel that I could shout it to the housetops if the Lord would but loosen my tongue. I know the gospel is true with all my heart. I will never deny my testimony. I feel that tonight I must talk to the Lord from my heart.
Brent talked in his journal of taking pictures of fjords and castles. He took the top one of the fjord but the castle was taken from the internet. It is the Akershus Castle and Fortress, built in 1299.




No comments:
Post a Comment