October 4, 1970
A Sunday that I should never forget. When it came time to start testimony meeting I just knew that I must bear my testimony. So that I did. What an experience. I talked about 3:7 of 1 Nephi to try and touch the heart of my investigatore, Fru Engstrom. Now the evening will be spent tracting.
October 8, 1970
I placed a Book of Morning to one real nice fellow and then we received a return appointment to him on the 19th of this month. I also learned something today about myself that will really help me. I must learn to control my expression and disapproval. I'm going to have a lot while here on my mission so I had better learn how to control myself. I must learn to understand the investigator on their level.
October 10, 1970. Now I am waiting for our baptism. My first real baptism. It doesn't seem possible. Our baptism was a wonderful experience. She was sure happy looking. I'll never forget it. My opportunity was to confer upon her the Holy Ghost. What a very wonderful experience. I cannot quite explain how it feels. The Lord did help me to think of the words I needed to give her the strength she will need. After the ordination I can remember her saying. Takk, which means thanks you.
October 18, 1970
Today is my mother's birthday, age forty. I sent her a tape which contained such things as my baptism and my patriarchal blessing was also included on it.
October 28, 1970
It has finally happened and very unexpectedly. My first snow fall here in Norway. It started snowing about 9:00 AM and continued until heaven know when. It is still snowing. We continued tracting until 8:15. We were cold and the wind was blowing and snowing and we had to walk about 3 miles. I felt so tired after the days work. But it was successful. It was a very enjoyable day even tho the weather was miserable. I must say that the net 6 months is going to be very hard.
November 6, 1970
November 6th was a day of getting my self ready for a move to Kristianund. I went to the mission home, seen the greenies, and talked to the mission president about Kristiansund. I left for the airport at 10:15 and met Elder Lewis at the airport. We came straight home and started getting ready.
Kristiansund is a small town. The people seem very happy when we just talk to them. I hope that when the time comes to start tracting that it will be the say way.
November 11, 1970
We had dinner with Bestemor, which was a stew called Lapskaus. It was good. I ate my heart out. We the had some strawberries that were just fantastic, especially with cream and the like.
Bestemor (This means Grandmother in Norwegian)
Now came the time for our bath at the public bath house. It will be my first. It was nothing bad. We had a good shower and rinsed off and then stood in a heat room for some time.
November 27th, 1970
After packing and baking and relaxing, my companion and I took our bags down to wait for the boat and as usual the boat was 45 minutes late. Once on the boat we were off enjoying the pie and root beer and cookies that had been made. I became sea sick and went to bed.
November 28,1970
We were up at 7:00 on the boat and went to the church in Trondheim. While there I met all the Elders on our team. I was sure impressed with them all. We had a real nice Thanksgiving banquet with all the trimmings. I sure did enjoy it. I felt so relaxed and at home for a change. After our meal we cleaned up and then conference started at 2:00 PM. Conference lasted 5 hours and then I had my interview with President Johnson. He sure did help me out. It was like an answer to prayers.
December 5, 1970
We went down town Christmas Shopping.
December 13, 1970
Sunday was a very fun day. We went in to church and I had to lead the music. What an experience.
The evening was spent at Bestemor's. It was sure nice to watch Elder Mann become a member of Besta's family. She has so many friends that were missionaries. It is simply unbelievable.
December 17, 1970
We decided to buy Bestamor a table today and then get us a Christmas tree. It helped a little bit to get the Christmas spirit.
December 18, 1970
We sure had a wonderful full day while working with the Elders. Elder Kiser and I really had a wonderful time. We used the Christmas cards to help know the area and we were even successful with placing the Book of Mormon to one gentleman that said he would be interested in hearing and reading the Book of Mormon. During the day we received many great and promising call backs. It was fun to work with Elder Kiser.
December 24, 1970
Now we begin our big Christmas Holiday. It is going around and becoming better acquainted with all the members. They have all invited us out to eat and enjoy this Christmas season with them. Our first appointment is with Bestemor. We had many things to eat. More than you can imagine. Bestemore received a table and my companion and I received a small Viking Ship. It was sure great. We ended the evening with a small snack and came home to hit the sack.
December 25, 1970
Christmas day was spent with the Hyelkrams. We had a big dinner. It was sure fun. After dinner we had atens which was a cake! There was Bestemor along with us all. After my companion called home and I slept as much as I could. The evening was spent eating fruit continually and then watching the T. V.


No comments:
Post a Comment